There are a few recipes I remember my mother making growing up: shortbread cookies, magic bars, cheesy olive balls, etc. Like many of us my mother had her go-to recipes, the ones that she had memorized, that turned out perfect every time, and that people always wanted the recipe for. I’m proud that her banana bread is now one of those recipes for both my sister and I.
I’m not sure where the recipe came from, I think the only change my mother made over the years was the addition of chocolate chips – it was a good change. She made it for school fundraisers, potlucks, holidays; for family, friends, colleagues, everyone loved it and it was a great excuse not to eat bananas.
3 ripe bananas mashed
4 tbsp. melted butter or margarine
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan (not sure if you can use an insert, I haven’t tried). Mix banana, eggs, butter and sugar in a large bowl until blended well. Sift in dry ingredients, add chocolate chips if using. Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for approximately one hour. Let banana bread cool in pan, then gently remove it.
Serve warm or cold, I prefer it plain, Greg and my sister, Sara, both like it with a little butter.
The smell, the taste brings me back to a time when my mom was still in the kitchen, it’s a true comfort food ~kM
Stuff we’ve been up to
Stuff we’re talking about:
- RT @TheShoreClubCA: 922 followers! Thank you so much! Please help us get to 1,000 followers ad we will reward one of our lucky followers wi… 1 day ago
- On the menu tonight: @jamieoliver perfect roast chicken jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicke… #gotorecipe 4 days ago
- On the menu tonight: Quick Jambalaya kraftrecipes.com/recipes/quick-… made healthy using brown rice, turkey sausage, low sodium chicken broth, etc. 5 days ago
- What's your favourite soup recipe? 1 week ago
- Had an ok night at Big Easy's, food was ok, service was ok and atmosphere was ok. 1 week ago
Stuff caught on camera:
Just stuff:addiction anniversary apple Baan Thai balsamic barbecue barley Beau's beef tartar beets blue cheese breakfast Brookstreet Hotel buffet caesar salad Chardonnay Chef Caroline Ishii couscous croutons curry Elgin garlic goat cheese hamburger jambalaya jerk Juniper Justin Rutledge leek Loblaws maple syrup Mardi Gras marinade meatballs meatloaf mushroom mushrooms Pad Thai pasta Pelican Grill pizza Play Food & Wine pop potato chip pot pie poutine ribs risotto salmon sausage sauvignon blanc shake Sidedoor sloppy joes slow cooker snack foods soda soft drink soup spring roll steak Stew street food tacos Thai Thailanna town turkey vacation Vietnamese vinaigrette Wellington Gastropub Winterlude Zen Kitchen Zen Ktichen